Feb 26th 2019
How to Find Great Content Marketing Ideas With 5 Simple Tips
It’s common for writer’s block to occur when writing multiple pieces of content each day, week or month. Running out of content marketing ideas frequently? Don’t be alarmed – you aren’t the only one. Bloggers often encounter this problem when they’re writing content for their personal blog or a client’s website. This post will highlight 5 steps you can take to generate new and interesting content marketing ideas, every time.
Tip 1: Explore Competitor’s Content & Write it Better
A great way to find content marketing ideas is to see what competitors and other individuals in your niche are writing about, so that you can try to outrank them with content that is more engaging and useful to the reader. Obviously, this does not mean content duplication, in any sense (as this will actually harm your rankings rather than improve them). Make your content original and with a similar theme as that of the competitors – but be sure to use your own ideas and tone, to give your brand a unique voice.
Things that will help your content successfully rank higher than competitors’:
- See whether the keywords they are using are hard to rank for and find and incorporate alternatives to them that are easier to rank for, so that you are more likely to appear on Google’s first page. You can check keywords through free tools such as Neil Patel’s UberSuggest.
- Make your post longer than your competitor’s. For example, if they have written 800 words, try and write 1,500 on that same topic. This will show Google that you are more through and provide more useful knowledge than they do. Therefore, Google will favour your post over theirs.
- Remember - quality over quantity. Make sure you write high quality content, no matter the topic. Provide relevant and extra information, in comparison to what your competitors have written.
- Assure that the content you write is relevant and up-to date. No one wants to read a blog post that is outdated and no longer applicable (which could be the case for many of the other blogs that appear on Google). So, keep the information you write new and evergreen!
- Using content assets like visuals and graphics will attract readers to your blog. The blog posts that take advantage of visuals are more likely to have a lower bounce rate, as readers are more inclined to browse the website further.
Tip 2: Find out the Common Questions that People Ask About your Niche
Exploring what individuals commonly search for online that touch upon your niche is necessary as it enables you to understand your audience better. After discovering which questions are frequently asked, write the content for your audience and Google will reward your website.
Where can I see what people are asking?
- Quora is a great tool to use, as it’s a platform where people ask questions that are sometimes left unanswered. If people can’t find the answer on Google, Quora is their next best bet. Think about it: if you answered that particular question through a blog post - they wouldn’t need Quora’s help!
- Talk with individuals who are interested in your niche. Interact with them to see what they would like answered in a ‘guide’, for example.
- Check search volumes! Using tools such as the KeywordsEverywhere plugin, will display which queries are popular and are often searched for on search engines.
Easily find website content ideas using these unbeatable tips. Make sure you consider user intent when following writing content to answer the readers’ questions – what category do they fall under?
Tip 3: Be Original with your Content Ideas
It’s okay to think out of the box, in fact, it’s recommended. People are tired of reading about boring and well-known ‘tricks of the trade’. Why not carry out your own original research or set of data? This will certainly engage your readers and show them that you’re an expert at what you do and that your brand needs a well-deserved mention and share! Don’t worry if some of your posts aren’t optimised with keywords – the best content marketing ideas come in all shapes and sizes. The main goal you should have is engaging your audience and creating an excellent reputation for your brand which you can easily achieve through content marketing!
By creating more original and exciting content, even without much SEO, you can turn your writing into something readers didn’t know they needed to read but are glad that they came across. For example, the public likes storytelling. Storytelling has been around for centuries – engaging your audience with stories will make them appreciate your brand and keep your website’s traffic up - day in, day out. If consumers know your unique story, they’re more likely to remember and trust your brand.
An example of how we incorporated storytelling in one of our blog posts is our A Day in the Life of a Content Marketer where we give our readers insight onto what goes on in a typical day at Reboot!
Tip 4: Check Social Media and News for Inspiration
Your content ideas will effortlessly come to light if you utilise social media to your advantage. Check Twitter for trends that you can relate back to your niche. If people are engaging with certain topics on Twitter, Facebook or in the news, it’s highly likely that they will be interested in reading the content you create, surrounding the topic.
This is a great tip that is easily compatible with your outreaching technique. Outreach should be an essential part of your content marketing process. If you find your content marketing ideas from trends on social media, after writing a blog post you can simply share it on the social media platform and use the trending hashtags that apply – this will certainly generate clicks onto your site and help make your content go viral!
Tip 5: Finding Topics
Note all topics that relate to your niche. You can easily create content that touches upon new angles of a certain topic. For example, if your business specialises in selling furniture, the categories that you should list down should be;
- Rooms in a house (bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, basement etc.)
- Feng Shui
All of these categories have something to do with ‘furniture’, so make sure your business includes all of these in the website’s blog to have a never-ending amount of content ideas for your website.
Pay attention on the types of posts you write. This tip will help you generate more ideas too.
Types of Content Marketing posts:
- ‘How to’
- ‘What is…’
- ‘(Any number) ways to…’
- ‘Basics for…’
- ‘Best Practices for…’
- ‘Review on…’
- ‘Interview with…’
These types of blog posts will allow you to access different angles and viewpoints of the same kind of topics. With these 5 + BONUS tips, you will be one step closer to being a content marketing genius, full of fun and shareable ideas!